These symptoms have been divided into three categories:
1. Those which occur when one is awake
2. Those which occur when one is asleep
3. Sudden behavioural changes that one may experience that are out of character.
1. Symptoms when one is awake:
1 – Turning away, in particular, from acts of worship and obedience, the remembrance of Allah (swt) (Dhikr) and reading the Qur’an. Allah (swt) says: And whosoever turns away blindly from the remembrance of the Most Gracious (Allah (swt) (i.e. this Qur’an and worship of Allah (swt), we appoint for him Shaytaan to be a Qarin (a companion) to him. And verily, they (Shayateen) hinder them from the path (of Allah (swt) but they think that they are guided aright – (Al-Zukhruf 43:36-37)
2 – Erratic behaviour in one’s words, deeds and movements. Allah (swt) says: (Those who eat Riba will not stand (on the Day of Resurrection) except like the standing of a person beaten by Shaytaan leading him to insanity.) (Al-Baqarah 2:275)
3 – Seizures (with no medical cause); there are signs to indicate that a seizure has devilish causes.
4 – Paralysis of a limb (with no medical cause).
5 – Being quick to get angry or weep with no apparent cause.
6 – Sitting in the toilet for a long time, and talking to oneself.
7 – Constant headache with no medical cause, which is not eased by painkillers.
8 – Irregular menstruation in women.
9 – Not producing children although both husband and wife are medically sound and able to reproduce.
10. Depression. – Depression refers to intense sadness. It is a widespread mental illness, indeed one of the most widespread. As for mild sadness or feeling "blue", this is a normal and natural emotion which hardly anyone can escape, not even a believer. Allah (swt) says: Secret counsels (conspiracies) are only from Shaytaan, in order that he may cause grief to the believers. – (Al-Mujaddilah 58:10) If that sadness increases and takes over a person, it becomes depression.
Signs of depression:
- Feeling distressed and sad
- Loss of appetite
- Lack of focus, forgetfulness
- Sleep disturbances, weight loss
- Lack of sexual desire
There are other signs when one is awake, but they may be caused by other life circumstances, such as not succeeding in efforts to get married, repeatedly failing to do so etc.
2. Symptoms when one is asleep:
1 – Frightening nightmares, which includes seeing various kinds of creatures such as ghosts or apparitions, seeing oneself falling from a high place, seeing people in strange forms, and snakes. A man may see a woman who wants him to have intercourse with her (and vice versa) constantly in his dreams, or he may see someone threatening him.
2 – Insomnia, anxiety and fear upon waking.
3 – Talking loudly in one’s sleep, or moaning and groaning.
Note: A person should not be regarded as being possessed by Jinn if any of these symptoms occur. No one can be certain that a person has been possessed by Jinn until after the Qur’an has been recited over them, so these symptoms should not be taken as definitive evidence of Jinn possession.
3. Sudden behavioral change
Signs of sudden behavioral change that has to do with a person’s inward attitude.
The below is a general guideline for all Muslims. However for practicing Muslims who did not have these qualities before but find a sudden strange inclination to them, should get themselves checked with Ruqyah as soon as possible.
- Associating others with Allah (swt) (Shirk) – Minor Shirk (showing off)
- Being angry with the divine decree (like saying ‘why has this happened to me?’ etc)
- Forgetting Allah (swt) and the Hereafter
- Feeling safe from the plot of Shaytaan and getting carried away in sin and relying on Allah (swt) ‘s mercy
- Despairing of the mercy of Allah (swt)
- Thinking badly of Allah (swt)
- Deliberately telling lies about Allah (swt) and the Messenger of Allah (swt) (saw)
- Arrogance, self-admiration and showing off
- Loving to be praised for doing acts of worship
- Deceit, Hypocrisy, Greed, Stinginess
- Hidden anger, grudges and envy
- Turning away from people out of arrogance and scorning them
- Looking at the rich and venerating them because of their richness
- Fear of poverty
- Mocking the poor because of their poverty
- Competing in worldly gains
- Loving to be praised for what one has not done
- Being preoccupied with the faults of others whilst ignoring one’s own faults
- Strong feelings for religions other than the religion of Allah (swt)
- Mocking the slaves of Allah (swt) , looking down on them and despising them
- Thinking badly of Muslims
- Not accepting the truth because it goes against one’s own whims and desires, or hating those who speak the truth
- Rejoicing in sin and Persisting in sin
- Acquiring knowledge for worldly gain (showing off)
- Offending the close friends of Allah (swt) and taking them as enemies
- Showing evil behavior and foul language so as to make people fear you and avoid your evil
some signs to look out for
*1. Feeling a heaviness on the shoulders and/ or head or head ache when standing up for salah.
*2. Feeling a movement (actual movement or like a pulse) or a pain (can be moving pain) or burning (part of the body becoming hot) or pins and needles, numbness, shaking, fear, anxiety when listening to the Quran with ear phones with a loud volume.
*3. Dislike of reading or listening to Quran, urge to turn it off, or agintated and irritated or angry (opposite of tranquility)
*4. Aniexty or fear of going to the masjid or feeling uncomfortable in the masjid or getting head aches or during islamic lectures etc.
5. Dislike of azan.
6. Insomnia (either can’t sleep to very late and just before fajr feeling very tired, or broken sleep)
Some jinns are black dogs, snakes and lions, rats, carnivorous animals and give birth to the same type of jinns.
Others are flying jinns so u see men flying in the dream, others are earth bound ones but are very ugly so they chase you.
Some take pleasure by causing a person to have a wet dream.
These nightmares will be quite frequent ie. Always seeing one self being chased by a black dog, or a lion, snake or a ugly man.
Seeing a lion caged up.
Seeing a tall bold headed man.
Seeing snakes around you or trying enter the house etc.
Every case is different.
8. Anxiety- Fear of sleeping and fear of dying for no reason. Sometimes at night other times at maghrib time
*9. Urges or thoughts to jump off bridge or commit suicide or go to the park at maghrib time or at night alone!
*10. Hearing voices in the head, sometimes a clear distinct voice.
11. Prefering to keep one self away from family and like to alone.
12. Prefer not to have showers or keep one self clean.
13. Uncontrollable or irrational anger.
*14. Obscene thoughts during salah- pornographic or even kufr things like throwing the Quran.
15. Urge to push people or babies down the stairs.
You will know as soon as you read these signs if they apply to you or not. No need to concentrate and force your self to believe these things apply to you.
The ones with the red astrix * are the ones that need to watch for….
Sihr is almost always accompanied by a jinn possession, so the aboce signs will apply to sihr too